No, There is no scientific evidence that drinking coconut water causes miscarriage. Coconut water is a natural beverage that is usually considered safe and healthful for pregnant women to consume. It is high in critical minerals and electrolytes, which can help prevent dehydration and improve the mother’s and baby’s general health. However, like with other nutritional problems during pregnancy, it is always best to get personalised advice from your healthcare professional and address any particular concerns you may have.
Nutritional Values of Coconut Water
The estimated nutritional contents in 1 cup (240 ml) of coconut water:
|Nutrition||Amount Per 1 cup (240 ml)|
|Vitamin C||10% of the Daily Value|
|Magnesium||15% of the Daily Value|
|Potassium||17% of the Daily Value|
|Sodium||11% of the Daily Value|
|Calcium||6% of the Daily Value|
|Manganese||17% of the Daily Value|
|Vitamin B6||5% of the Daily Value|
|Riboflavin (B2)||5% of the Daily Value|
Benefits of drinking coconut water during pregnancy
Drinking coconut water when pregnant can provide various advantages to expecting moms. Here are a few of the potential benefits:
- Hydration is critical throughout pregnancy, and coconut water is a natural and pleasant method to satisfy your fluid requirements. It’s high in electrolytes like potassium, magnesium, and salt, which help restore lost fluids and keep you hydrated.
- Coconut water includes important minerals that are advantageous during pregnancy. It contains vitamin C, which boosts the immune system and assists in collagen formation. It also contains trace levels of minerals including calcium, manganese, and magnesium, which are essential for bone health and muscular function.
- Digestive Health: Pregnancy hormones might cause constipation or digestive pain in some women. Coconut water includes dietary fibre, which can aid in the regulation of bowel motions and the maintenance of a healthy digestive tract.
- Blood Pressure Control: Pregnancy-related high blood pressure, known as gestational hypertension, can endanger both the mother and the baby. Coconut water is naturally low in sodium and high in potassium, which may aid in the maintenance of normal blood pressure levels.
- Anti-Nausea Properties: During the early stages of pregnancy, many pregnant women experience morning sickness or nausea. Coconut water is a moderate and calming beverage that may help relieve nausea and an upset stomach.
- Natural Energy Boost: Pregnancy can be physically taxing, and weariness is a typical side effect. Natural sugars and electrolytes in coconut water give a gradual energy boost, making it a better alternative to sugary beverages or caffeine.
- Promotes Amniotic Fluid Levels: Adequate amniotic fluid levels are essential for the baby’s development and protection. Staying hydrated with coconut water may aid in maintaining appropriate amniotic fluid levels
It’s crucial to remember that everyone’s experience is different, and not all pregnant women will benefit the same way. Always contact with your healthcare professional before making any big changes to your diet during pregnancy to verify they are appropriate for your unique requirements and any prior issues.